Old February 9th 13, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Holly's health report

"MaryL" wrote in message
Holly seems to be doing very well. She is now eating well, and she seems
happy. She follows me around like "the old Holly," and she spends a lot
of time curled up in my lap. I think I made the right decision not to
force her to have fluids twice a day. I would rather have her happy and
content for whatever time we have left than to force her to have a
procedure that traumatizes her. I realize that administering fluids is
really a routine procedure, but she was so stressed out about it (even
when the vet tech did it) that she had started to cringe whenever I picked
her up to start the process. Now she is back to her old self, and I want
to keep it that way. I wish I had been able to give her the fluids, but
even the vet tech found that she had to force her. The vet tech would
scruff her when she struggled, but it clearly wasn't something that Holly
would simply adjust to and accept calmly, and I was unable to control her
as well as the vet tech could. I am adding some powdered medicine to her
canned cat food, and she is eating that very well. So, I hope she
continues to improve on this regimen and that I will have for a lot
longer. But, most important, I want her remaining time to be happy and
contented time. I think there is an element of selfishness when we force
our beloved cats to endure procedures that they find objectionable just so
we can force them to be with us longer. It's always a difficult decision,
and I found it particularly difficult because administering fluids is not
one of those procedures that we would usually look at a traumatic--but
Holly obviously saw it that way. She will be 18 years old on June 1.

It is not possible to do that here, this is a thing that only vets can do.