Old July 1st 03, 06:53 PM
Yngver

Joe wrote:

BTW P.D. about another reply you made to me. Cats don't sharpen their
claws, they exercise their tendons/muscles. You might notice that a cat's
claw is the sharpest (but maybe not the hardest) immediately after it sheds
the claw's outer layer. If you have trimmed the claw, it will become more
pointed with each shedding. I only trim them under unusual circumstances.

I haven't found that to be the case with my cats. After 5 years of trimming
claws every other week, their claws seem to stay blunt longer. Now I only trim
the claws that are sharp, because some of them are still blunted from the last
trim.

Of course, it could also be that as the cat ages, the claws grow out slower,
but the result is the same.