Old May 27th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

Default Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

On Mon 26 May 2008 03:39:33p, cshenk wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

Ant control. I too live in the south. I use a very old home
remedy outdoors. On a dry day, take grits and make a small pile
over any mounds you can find. Also, if you know an ingress path
to your house, along that. They eat it and it kills them. They
carry it back to the mound and it kills the queen. Works on all
types of ants. They have to be dry when eaten to work. I
believe corn meal is supposed to work too? The grits wont harm
anything but hard carapaced insects and not all of those. I
don't advise this indoors though because roaches arent killed
with grits ;-) If you have ants, you probably have a roach
issue in your area too and have to be careful.

I'm not in the south, but close, on the east coast. It seems like
my house is sitting on top of a huge ant colony because I find the
tiny ants EVERYWHERE outside. They used to get inside, but several
years ago I had to get a termite treatment (have those in huge
numbers here, too) and since then, the ants don't come in (knock
wood).

If I leave anything outside, it becomes an ant habitat within days.
I just killed millions on the stack of mulch bags I hadn't had a
chance to put down until this weekend. It was disgusting!

What if you can't find ant mounds? The ants here seem to go under
things like rocks, bags, etc. I try not to leave anything out that
can become their home, but it doesn't take much for them to swarm,
then if I disturb them, they all grab eggs and run. Ick. Can you
just sprinkle grits around the edges of fencing? Around gardens? Do
you have to mound up the grits? I put down "Ant Stakes" around the
entrances to my house and that seems to keep them from housing
around the doors, but away from that, they are EVERYWHERE. I know
ants are beneficial, but this is ridiculous. LOL

--
Cheryl