Old November 17th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Adopting another cat

"T" wrote in message
. ..
Now that we're down to one cat again, I thought it might be good to
adopt another cat or kitten.

I find myself going more toward a young cat as opposed to a kitten
because I know most people adopt kittens first.

I'm trying to convince the SO that going with a cat between 1-4 years
old isn't such a bad thing. First of all, they've had all their shots,
have been spayed/neutered and their personalities are pretty much fixed
at that point.

Not to mention the fact that you're probably sparing the cat an early
death.

Of course if we adopt another cat it'll be the traditional way. Surfing
petfinder.com is one thing, but going and meeting the cats is the best
way. Friendly cats are the ones trying to jump out of the cage. That's
how Cosimo came into our lives.

I think it is a wonderful decision to adopt an adult cat. As you said, it
is much harder to place them so you will probably be saving another life.
Holly was 6 months old when I adopted her, and Duffy was estimated to be
between 3 and 5 years old. They are both fantastic cats, and I can't
imagine two better companions. Do be sure to take a very slow, cautious
approach with the introduction (regardless of age). One of the biggest
mistakes many people make is to simply "toss them together" and expect the
cats to "work it out for themselves." This sometimes works, but it is often
a recipe for disaster. Slow and careful should be the approach!

Good luck., and thank you for adopting an adult cat.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o