Old April 5th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

Default Lethargy, voice loss, weight loss, thirst

On Apr 4, 5:47 pm, "cindys" wrote:
She stopped purring several weeks before she died/we had her
euthanized. It does take energy for cats to purr, so when a cat stops
purring, it could be because the cat is weak/lacks the energy.

Everyone who has mentioned the loss of voice has also mentioned their
cat was found to be anemic. I wonder, since we still aren't one
hundred percent clear on the mechanism of purring, whether the anemia
makes it difficult to generate turbulence in the blood flow around the
vocal cords. Turbulence in the blood flow was proposed as one
possible mechanism for purring. Perhaps you need to have a minimum
hemoglobin level for good purring. Don't think that would apply to
meow-ing though.

--tension