Old October 24th 04, 04:09 AM
Mishi

"William Hamblen" wrote in message

Some old words have disappeared, such as ash can, because noone burns
coal any more to make ashes to be hauled away.

I also grew up going "down cellar", and I took ashes out in an ash can and
put them in an ash pit. These weren't coal ashes, but wood ash. I sat on a
sofa, and drank soda. I grew up in the Adirondack Mtns of New York, near
the Canadian border. G One saying that I use that seems to be a local one
is "That person is a rig!" , meaning that person likes to be the center of
attention, good or bad. My oldest sister is a 'rig', and she is constantly
in the middle of a problem, either of her own creation or of someone elses.
She just thrives on it! I also work with someone like that. Sigh. G

Patti
(in central New York, where it is getting colder every day!)