Old October 6th 04, 01:36 AM
Dan M

Who knows, Rocky may become a barn cat yet ;-) For those who don't
know, Rocky was a rescue-feral. When I took him to be neutered I
wasn't planning on keeping him and had a home lined up for him to
become a barn-kitty. If we do actually move, I'm seriously thinking
Rocky will find himself being an inside cat. I don't worry much about
him being outside here in the city, since he spent 6-8 years on the
streets, but I'm not sure about letting him roam out in the country.
Not only would he have to learn about country predators, but the
property is on the corner of two country roads where the speed limit
is 55mph. I'm hoping that, if we move, he'll be happy living in the
apartment, and then having the barn to explore when he wants to be in
the OUT.

If the move does come about, you might want to consider whether you
could put up some non-permanent fencing to make a kitty yard. Given
enough room with some bushes and maybe a tree or two, Rocky might well
be content with his yard.

The place we're renting has a small (about 20x30) fenced back yard. I
blocked off all the holes beside and below the fence, and that kept Cleo
and Amelia from getting out of the yard. When we added the two kittens,
they both learned to climb the fence and get out, so I added an electric
fence wire about halfway up the fence. It only took a couple times
touching the wire to learn that if you touch the solver wire, it bites
your paw. Now all four kitties love their outside time, and none of them
try to escape from the yard.