Old July 30th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

Default Bubba vs The Harness

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

Due to a pending car trip, I'm trying to acclimate
Bubba the 25Lb Maine Coon to a harness and leash so
that he can have an occasional break from the carrier
without me having to chase him around the rest stop.

I got a harness from the Pet Labyrinth that is
designed for a small-medium dog (don't tell him)
and put it on him around the house to give him
a chance to get used to it. It's not too tight,
I can slide both hands under it, but he's none
too happy with the imposition in spite of
additional treats.

If looks could kill...

I'm figuring to get him used to the harness by
having him wear it while I can keep an eye on him
so nothing catastrophic happens for increasing periods
of time before I try to use the leash too.

Any helpful hints or suggestions?

Nope, I think what you're doing is fine. One caution, through, be careful
not to make the harness *too* loose - I've seen cats wriggle out of them and
you don't want that to happen next to a busy highway if he gets spooked by
something!

Thanks.

I'm gonna start it off loose to minimize the angst on his part
and tighten it up if it needs it later...