Old July 31st 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Boo's Boobie Update

"-L." wrote in message
On Jul 30, 10:19 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message
Cheryl, do you still use that vet?

The vet said to be ready for tumors to pop up with some regularity,
because
mammary tumors tend to be aggressive in cats, so I'll keep checking. The
great thing is, if we are lucky, we can catch them before they become
malignant. If 80% of mammary tumors in cats are malignant, it makes sense
me that the reason this one is benign may be attributed to the fact that
we
caught it early.

Hey - don't know Boo's whole story (I assume you had a mammary tumor
removed) but I can tell you that my Mimi had one around age 2 and
never developed another.

I thought I recalled something like that. She was a lucky girl.

The vet was concerned that it was malignant,
did a aspirate biopsy and it came back negative. He removed it, it
cleared up, and that was it.

Was it a hard lump, if you recall? That was what made it so scary, to me. It
was exactly the kind of thing they tell women to look out for.

He said that female cats will sometimes
have cells that swell in prep to make milk, but they stop developing
and can make a tumor. (Or something along those lines - this was ...16
years ago!) Anyway, just want to give you some encouragement that it
may just be a fluke.

That is encouraging. Mimi lived to a good old age, hopefully Boo will too.
Thanks, L.