Old January 4th 05, 06:51 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-04, Margaret penned:

I wonder how portable the microchip scanner is. Something that could save
everyone stress might be to borrow a microchip scanner from your vet or from
some rescue operation. You could move the food to somewhere in your garage
where you could be out of his sight but nearby with the scanner. If by
chance he has a chip and you can contact the owner, they can come and get
him themselves.

It might take a week or so to get him used to coming to the new food place;
then you could get the scanner.

Margaret who also wonders how much a scanner costs, and would be considering
buying one and then donating it to some worthy organization afterwards

I've seen the scanners used; they're pretty portable. If the wish list of
my local shelter is to be believed, a scanner is about $250.

My understanding is that there are three different types of chips. A scanner
for one type can't read the numbers of the other types, but can tell that
they're present. I don't know if a scanner that checks all types exists.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch