Old January 11th 05, 09:58 PM
Sharon Talbert

Most vets have a chip scanner in-house. Our vet always checks for chips
when we find a possible "stray."

Sharon Talbert
Campus Cats

On 2005-01-04, Margaret penned:

I wonder how portable the microchip scanner is. Something that could

save everyone stress might be to borrow a microchip scanner from your vet or
from some rescue operation.

/snip/

Margaret
who also wonders how much a scanner costs, and would be considering
buying one and then donating it to some worthy organization afterwards

I've seen the scanners used; they're pretty portable. If the wish list of
my local shelter is to be believed, a scanner is about $250.

My understanding is that there are three different types of chips. A

scanner for one type can't read the numbers of the other types, but can tell
that they're present.

Well, that would be the major piece of information needed here! If there's a
chip in there, then it would be worth trapping him and taking him straight
to the vet to get it read. Or maybe borrowing a different scanner or two,
if that were easier than trapping.

Margaret