Old April 22nd 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default Omega 3 oil for crf cat

"Riannon via CatKB.com" u42022@uwe wrote in message
Has anyone with cats with kidney disease tried omega 3 oils?

I give all my cats omega-3 supplements. I've been giving omega-3s along with
a potassium supplement to my 23 and 15 y/o CRF cats for 5 yrs. Their
BUN/Cr. have not only remained stable but have actually improved to just a
tad above the normal range. Their USG have also improved. I wholeheartedly
recommend n-3s for all cats and n-3s along with a potassium supplement for
all cats over 8 or 9. I'm convinced n-3s with a potassium supplement delays
the onset of CRF.

in particular,
"Astro Oil"?

I highly recommend DVM Pharmaceutical's 3V Free Form Liquid Omega-3s. The
bioavailability of free form n-3s is much higher because they're absorbed
without metabolism-- IOW, they don't require breakdown by pancreatic
enzymes. 3Vs are also balanced with vitamin E to prevent oxidation.

The food I use for my crf cat has omega 3's in it but I am
wondering if I should be giving her more than what's in her food.

A 5-10 cat should get ~160 mg of EPA and ~104 mg of DHA.

Phil