Old April 23rd 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Default Omega 3 oil for crf cat

Phil P. wrote:
I give all my cats omega-3 supplements. I've been giving omega-3s along with
a potassium supplement to my 23 and 15 y/o CRF cats for 5 yrs. Their

23? Wow. That's great. I can only hope mine make it to that age - have a
15 yr old that's had crf for 6 years, a 15 1/2 yr old with very early signs
of crf and hyper-T, and a 9 1/2 yr old that I have yet to get a senior blood
panel for but should be doing soon (I'm dreading this as he suffers extreme
panic there and will bite; I don't see how they'll be able to draw his blood).

BUN/Cr. have not only remained stable but have actually improved to just a
tad above the normal range. Their USG have also improved. I wholeheartedly
recommend n-3s for all cats and n-3s along with a potassium supplement for
all cats over 8 or 9. I'm convinced n-3s with a potassium supplement delays

Very impressive. I will have to discuss potassium supplementation with my
vet again. I did once recently but she thought that her potassium was fine
(4) for the time being.

I highly recommend DVM Pharmaceutical's 3V Free Form Liquid Omega-3s. The
bioavailability of free form n-3s is much higher because they're absorbed
without metabolism-- IOW, they don't require breakdown by pancreatic

Will try and locate those.

A 5-10 cat should get ~160 mg of EPA and ~104 mg of DHA.

Thanks for the info.

Riannon