Old April 25th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Colour of cat = personality of cat?

Stemming right back to Edgar Allan Poe's short story "The Black Cat"
there has been a perception that "little black cat" is usually bright,
intelligent, and utterly loving and devoted. (Although some times the
bright intelligent black cat has been associated with the supernatural!)

As for ginger cats, well, "The Ginger Tom" has a traditional reputation
for being a somewhat independent cat which is out there prowling around
and behaving like "one of the lads".

The thing is, my black cat and my ginger cat fit both of these
traditional perceptions PERFECTLY!

What is more, my black cat and my ginger cat are TWIN BROTHERS who have
been treated with exactly the same love and attention since birth. They
are both about 18 months old.

So what do people think?

Is there are theme here? Do the colours of a cats' coats relate to
their general behaviour?

I asked a professional biologist about this and he says there are many
instances elsewhere in the animal kingdom where one genetic
characteristic (even such as colour) is synonymous with another feature
or behaviour.

All anecdotes (or even pointers to academic studies!) most gratefully
accepted.

Ellie.