Old April 26th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Colour of cat = personality of cat?

Toni wrote:
I have been grooming cats professionally for 34 years and have noticed a
definite correlation. But my experience has been in direct opposition to
your thoughts.

I used to groom as well and would agree with your thougts.

What follows is highly subjective and I am in no way saying that "this is
true*, but is only my opinion. Also breed and body type also indicate
different characteristics and may often trump color.

I find black cats to be the most ornery and difficult to manage, and in my
circle of groomers thay have a reputation of being more likely to be crazy.
I have a black cat myself and he is a nutball.

That is because black cats - particularly males - are big babies in a
cat suit. They think they are the center of the universe and cannot
imagine why you do not think so, too.

The ginger or marmalade cats, on the other hand, are the most personable
easy going cats you could ever ask for. Outgoing yet easy to handle. I have
two marmalade litter brothers and they are both absolute perfection.

We call it Big Orange syndrome.

Whites I find to be more docile yet not as outgoing as the gingers.

Whites are usually pretty cool cats.

Tuxedo kitties I would rank between the ginger and the whites- not quite as
gregarious as the gingers, but not as reserved as the whites.

I would rate black and whit tux males to be equal to ginger/orange in
personality, with a nit more sense of adventure.

The pointed cats, brown tabbies, and other solid colors (blues, browns,
lilacs) are highly variable.

Agreed. However torties and calicos are nuts - usually quirky and want
affection when *they* want to allow it - usually a bit stand-offish but
can also be a one-person cat. A friend calls torties the Snickers cat
- half sweet, half nuts.

-L.