Old April 29th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
blkcatgal

Default Pet Food Recall: PURINA UR (MAYBE)

Well, I agree that your best bet is to try and buy foods that don't have
grains. But I have to tell you, that I was greatly surprised and
disappointed when I found out that the pet food company added rice protein
to the food that I was feeding my cat and it was not disclosed in the
ingredients. And the rice protein was tainted with melamine. I was
lucky....the bag of food I had was purchased before the company decided to
change the formula. I try to feed my cats grain free foods, especially my
one guy that has food allergies.

S.

"cybercat" wrote in message
.. .

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
Because pet food manufacturers are adding rice protein concentrate
without
telling the pet food companies. This is true of the recent recalls that
resulted from American Nutrition adding RCP to various foods without
telling the pet food companies. You can't be sure what you are getting
and you can't rely on the ingredients label anymore.

S.

Sue, I think you're painting with too broad a brush. I don't believe the
whole
industry is mislabeling. I don't believe every manufacturer adds
ingredients
without telling the companies.

And I do think that when there has proven to be a problem with wheat
and rice, if you avoid food that says "wheat" and "rice" on the label, you
have a better chance of getting food without wheat or rice.

"cybercat" wrote in message

"W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.com" wrote in
message news:322Zh.590$kg1.408@trndny04...
Hi,

Regarding the pet food recall and "what has yet to be officially
announced".

Why not buy food that has no wheat or rice in it at all?