Old July 14th 11, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.UseNet
John Doe

Default IAMS vs Whiskas?

Gandalf ingold1234(AT)yahoo(DOT)com (Gandalf) wrote:

Yes, you need to switch food SLOWLY, gradually adding more of the 'new'
food, in with their previous food.

I have always been told by vets to take about two WEEKS to change foods,
to give their digestive system plenty of time to adjust to the new food.

As an aside, when one of my cats was quite elderly, and having some
health problems, I decided to switch her to Wellness, since it's
supposed to be one of the 'best' dry foods available.

I took about 2 1/2 weeks to make the change over.

About a week AFTER the change, my cat started having loose stools,
slowly getting worse over the next week or so.

I stitched my cat BACK to her previous food, Nutro, as fast as I thought
was 'safe', and the loose stools stopped almost immediately.

There is no doubt that Wellness is a 'better' cat food...but it's not
better for every cat.

And, it's quite expensive. I gave away most of a $45 bag

And, I agree that Whiskas is kind of 'junk food' for cats.

I would try switching to another, better cat food.

Basically, almost ANY cat food is better than Whiskas.

I would try Science Diet, since it s now carried at MANY stores,
including some 'discount' stores.

I know that Fleet Farm carries it, and puts it on sale pretty regularly.

And for all you 'canned food only' and even worse: all you nut cases,
militant 'raw food only' TROLLS, who are CERTAIN to show up in this
thread, sooner or later:

**BITE ME**

(**NOT** the FOUR LETTER words I'd LIKE to use, either).

I had two cats that lived to 16 and **18** years, with absolutely NO
health problems of ANY kind, until literally one or two DAYS before they
passed away, and they both ate either Iams, or Science Diet, DRY FOOD,
for their entire lives.

As one person has said, which I did not know: Iams used to be better
food, than it is now, so that may have helped, some.

SO THERE!

I hope your 'raw food only' cats have diarrhea ALL OVER your beds, and
your expensive leather sofa and easy chairs!

*Grumble* **EVERY NUT CASE IN THE WORLD** has a computer now. *grumble*.

Looks like you have serious communication problems. I can just
imagine what your posts would look like if you could color your
words. Creepy, IMO.
--

See also
ingold1234 news-2.mpls.iphouse.net