Old September 24th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default New outdoor kitty - seeking advice

"Gandalf" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 07:39:16 -0700 (PDT), Zorin the Lynx
wrote:

Good morning folks, it's been a while since I've posted here. Few
remember me I bet, but I got some much-needed advice back in 2002 when
Lynxie was a kitten and I was lost as a new cat owner. Thank you
again, those who are still here.

I've always fed a few stray cats. They have always been feral, never
allowing me anywhere near them, yet it has been nice to have them
around, to see them around the property, and so on. They have come and
gone, and although I've felt heartbreak when one that I know never
appears again, I always felt there's not much I can do. They're
impossible to get close to, and there's a big road running right
behind the house that is a feline death-trap. Thank the gods I've
never actually seen any of them on that road, taken way too soon.

As of late there is a new kitty, though, different from the others. He
is a brown tabby and looks to be about a year old. Unlike the others,
after feeding him a few time he has become an INCREDIBLE sweetie.
We're talking prancing right up to me, rubbing against me, pressing
his head into my hand, practically BEGGING for pettings and attention.
He has started to sleep on the patio, and is there every morning
waiting for food. He is adorable and even more affectionate than
Lynxie who grew up around me!

http://zorin.org/gallery/v/randompho...u-002.jpg.html

I guess I need advice on what to do. I want to take Misu to the vet,
but am concerned that if I put him through a traumatic experience,
that he will never trust me again. It took a few days of feeding and
patience to win his trust in the first place.

Also, I've always been a stern believer in keeping cats indoors.
However, here we have a cat used to being outside, yet is incredibly
friendly. I know within a month I'm going to be incredibly emotionally
attached, and I'm going to be terrified of losing him to a car. Lynxie
hates all other cats, so I can't really let him inside, and if I do
let him in, he's going to want to go back out eventually I'm sure.

So what's the best way to deal with this? Should I just have him
fixed, collared, vaccinated, and let him be an outdoor cat? I'm
worried he may collect parasites and bring them in to infect Lynxie,
if I let him inside. It seems heartbreaking to force such a sweetie to
stay outside, alone most of the time, and only see him for a
relatively short period of time each day. He seems happy outside,
but.. I guess we tend to anthropomorphize, right?

Any advice is welcome. We are all cat lovers, here, so I'm sure you
understand how I feel. I want Misu to have a happy life.

-Zorin the Lynx

I can't add much to Matthew's excellent advice, except to suggest the
possibility of providing him with a shelter on your patio, such as a
small dog house, whether home made, or purchased.

If you get cold weather, you could provide an electric heating pad, set
to it's lowest setting, with several layers of old blanket or towels
over it.

My bet would be he would move in, and stay pretty close to his new home.

At least, that is what I would hope for.

Thank you for looking after the outdoor kitties, and especially Misu,
who must have been a dumped pet. You REALLY don't want to hear what I
have to say about people who dump pet cats and dogs

And I do remember reading posts about Lynxie, years ago

Best of luck, with Misu.

let me add you could if power is a problem take a card board box wrap it
in a trap line the inbetween the tarp and cardboard box line with thick
newspaper ( no color adds) and you put down hay inside cheap material
for anyone strapped for cash

This is a easy way to make a cheap throw way structure and it will keep
warm and dry for a furball hay needs to be cleaned out about every 2
weeks unles it gets wet . you can get a bale cord of hay which is one of
those ones that will fill the back of a 1/2 ton truck for about $50 using
this as an example of how cheap it is. Tarp is about $5.00 and wally world
card bord boxes and newspapers are free from the trash