Old November 11th 05, 07:53 PM
Wendy

Default Declawing etc Illegal in Rome

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote :

"cybercat" wrote in message

Speaking of someone who worships the cat, does the practice
of ear tipping bother you or am I just being overly sensitive?

Sure it bothers me. I think a large tattoo on the inside of the pinna

would
be sufficiently noticeable. Tattoos aren't popular because the

registration
number becomes illegible with time and the registries change or go out of
business. These reasons do not apply to ferals since the tattoo would

only
need be
a mark to identify the cat as being neutered, vaccinated and managed. A
large "M" or even "X" tattooed on the inside of the pinna would be
sufficient and clearly visible from a distance- albeit not as noticible
as
tipping.

Microchips aren't popular for ferals either because the cats must be

trapped
to be scanned.

I don't agree with some of the policies of a lot of feral organizations.
Unfortunately, eartipping has become the 'accepted' policy for
identifying
managed ferals.

So you think the pinna tattoo would work just as well as the ear tipping
for allowing the cats to be identified at a distance? If you're right then
cutting off the tip of the ear is indeed NOT necessary. It is, as I
suspected,
just the easiest and most expedient thing for the trappers to do. That is
what
I feared.

Think what you want but I don't think any tattoo on the inside of a cats ear
is going to be terribly visible at 10:00 at night to a Volunteer trapper.
These people aren't on the clock. They are taking their personal time to try
to help the cats. Lighten up a bit. Gees you act like the rescuers are jack
the ripper or something.