Old May 4th 04, 06:38 PM
billn

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
From: "billn"
"PawsForThought" ---------------

Do you
have him
on a canned diet?

So far, so good on the symptoms. Last time they reappeared after 3

weeks.
This last weekend marked the 3 week point and he's doing okay.

Mostly they eat dry food. They were [vet said to feed both of them the
same] to eat the Purina UR food, and initially liked it, but have since
decided they hate it. So now they get ProPlan Weight Management with

some
UR on the side if they get too hungry. They both could stand to lose a

few
pounds.

If they'll eat it, I would highly recommend a mostly canned diet,

especially
for the boy with the UTI problem. Here is a very good article. Also, at

the
end of the article is a link to Dr. Zoran's excellent article as well:

http://www.catsincanada.com/articles/feeding.html

Keeping good thoughts for continued good health for your boy

Thanks for the link, have skimmed it over now, will go over it closer a bit
later. The thing that jumped out for me right away was about water
consumption which is one thing I hadn't mentioned in any of our
conversations.

They always had fresh water available with their food and would always drink
some when eating. I think Mooch though would drink more than his sister.
[Funny he's got the problem now]

Anyway, the vet re-iterated how important water was. Now, around here the
drink of choice for people is water/ice water in a glass while we watch TV,
or do computing, and the cats always have to have a taste of what's in the
glass. We though, what's if they had their own glass? Plus, for Mooch,
even though we thought he was getting enough water [and the vet agreed] we
thought it better if he had even more.

So we took one of these 'big gulp' cups like you get from McD's or Burger
king and put it in the middle of the coffee table, so we could see all the
time if/when they used it. Filled it to the brim. Instant success. Mooch
came over, investigated, drank his fill. His sister just kind of watched
for a day or two, then she got into the act.

Now they love having their very own cup to use, it's fun to watch them
drink, I've taken plenty of pictures of pink tongues lapping water, and we
know they're getting plenty to drink.

If the level gets to low or you take it away, they go back to just drinking
when they eat. So this 'new toy' keeps them healthy and is fun for all.
And they've never spilled it.

Enjoy your day and thanks for the links.

--