Old May 22nd 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Retirement

. ..
As a few of you know (but most don't), I am planning to retire in August.
Our department held a retirement reception for me last week, and it was
*wonderful*- far more than I could possibly have expected or hoped for.
The reception was held now instead of in August because so many people
will be off-campus during the summer. There was a continuous crowd of
people for the entire two hours, and it was the type of reception where
everyone stayed quite awhile and visited and laughed the entire time-not
the type where people put in a "courtesy call" and then leave. I had a
truly marvelous afternoon. The food was spectacular! I think they had the
largest sheet cake I have ever seen (beautifully decorated with my name
and an inscription), and *lots and lots* of deli meats and cheeses, hot
chicken, veggies, fresh fruits, etc. A friend sent a *huge* beautiful
floral arrangement in a very heavy lead glass vase. (This friend has been
my "bridge buddy" for many years. He also used to play bridge with Mother
and Dad, and he never missed a single week of visiting Mother in the
nursing home for the entire 5-1/2 years she was there.)

I have been teaching in the same department for 41 years. That's rather
unusual and probably something that a lot people would not like, but it
has been exceptionally good for me. This department has had a very high
degree of stability, and it has always been very collegial. The town is
lovely, and I have a nice home where I intend to stay. I added a sunroom
a couple of years ago that gives me a great view of the backyard for bird
watching, and I also have been taking oil painting instruction for the
last six years. I don't want to become a couch potato, so I started
developing interests that will keep me busy. I'll probably do some
volunteer work, and there are a great many organizations available.

Our department has had only four chairmen in the 41 years I have been
here, and all four came to the reception. Another friend took almost 140
pictures. She tried to get a picture of me with every guest, and I think
she succeeded. In fact, I now have more pictures than I have ever before
had at a single event, so I have a "pictorial history" of the entire
afternoon.

So, this has been a rather long-winded way of letting people know about an
upcoming change in my life. I look forward to it with anticipation but
also with some trepidation because it is such a *permanent* decision and a
certain degree of sadness because I am leaving such a good experience
behind.

I'm going to post this same message on anecdotes. I usually don't like
posting the same message on different newsgroups, but I know some people
on that NG don't like cross-posting.

MaryL

Congratulations, Mary. I hope you have an enriching retirement - it's well
earned.

Hugs,

CatNipped