Old May 12th 05, 03:26 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 11 May 2005 10:00:41p, John Ross Mc Master wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:42:27 -0400, wrote:

Everything seemed fine, until a little after dinner Missy cat
ran under the bed and won't come out. She growls at my other
cat, Mr Spock (normal), but she is also growling at me, which
she's never done before. It's a low long growl like I've never
heard from her before.

She's been there for hours, hasn't moved, and doesn't look like
she's coming out any time soon. This is not a normal hiding or
sleeping spot for her. She seemed fine at lunch time, begged
for her pets as usual. She ate her dinner, or at least she
started. Now she won't even accept any treats which is most
unlike her.

I'm worried that something's wrong. I want to take her to the
vet in the morning, but I don't know how I'm going to get her
out from under the bed if she doesn't come out on her own. If
she's all excited, sick or injured, I don't want to just try to
grab her. She'd either run out the other side or claw me.

Any suggestions? I live alone and don't think I'd get many
volunteers to get the crazy angry kitty out from under the bed.

Swyck

She may have been traumatized by something, or contracted an
illness. See the vet! I have heard this low growl a couple of
times and it isn't pretty.
Now, luring her out..Get down to her level and tempt her with
catnip. If that doesnt work (you have to get her out) use a
broomhandle and force her out. She'll thank you if the vet fixes
her problem.

I agree. A method I've used to get my former feral out from under
the bed is to turn on the vaccum cleaner in the bedroom. Works
every time. You just have to be prepared to offer another hiding
space (like the bathroom) and shut all of the other doors before
you do.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields