Old September 27th 03, 10:54 PM
JHBennett

"jmcquown" wrote in message
JHBennett wrote:
I should imagine a Google search for Waterford Crystal ought to get
you in the arena of something suitable. Be advised, Waterford may
require you to upgrade to fresh shrimp and select Sushi, as is hand
fed at Jo Firey's. Cheers,
Jack

Ahem: Crystal? I thought crystal had an unacceptable lead content?

(Hmmm,
that didn't stop me from buying my fiance crystal liquor decanters for
Christmas several years back!)

Jill

Crystal is perfectly safe. The process is indeed to add lead to the molten
glass, which increases the density and causes greater refraction of light,
hence the name crystal. The density of carbon crystals works to put the
sparkle in diamonds, you know. Anyway, the lead is so fused in the mixture
there is no danger.
What you are likely thinking about is the occasional problem with
ceramic glazes containing lead. From time to time, one hears of someone
getting lead poisoning from the lead leaching out into food, particularly
acidic substances such as fruit juices. It can happen when the glazing
process does not go as intended.
The difference is leaded glass is made at higher temperatures and mixed
thoroughly, whereas such is not always the case with glaze.
The introduction of adding metal to glass reportedly got started when a
gold medal, awarded to a glass maker by the king, fell from the man's chest,
into molten glass he was working. It turned the glass red, from which glass
makers began to experiment with other metals. Never did hear, if the man
who made the discovery, got another gold medal.
In your particular case, Jill, the greater danger is likely to be found
in the contents of those decanters. Mayhaps you've heard that *candy is
dandy, but liquor is quicker?*
Cheers,
Jack