Old January 20th 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Storrmmee

Default Goodbye Kibbie, 5/?/1990 - 1/16/2011

come back and post or lurke anytime, soft, with six cats nodding and purring
"Judith Latham" wrote in message
Ahh... Thank you, that makes it clearer.

Judith

In article , Storrmmee
wrote:
hi judith,

the cat lived with and owned kim olsin and her so, i asked kyla/mosey to
put u p a candle because my screen reader doesn't do well on the
site... kim posted here long ago,

In article , Kyla =^ ..^=
From: "Kyla =^ ..^=" Subject: OT OT: Goodbye Kibbie,
5/?/1990 - 1/16/2011 Date: Monday, January 17, 2011 4:39 PM

Hi everyone:

Just a note to let you know that SO and I have said goodbye to
Kibbie, our 20-yo kitty, as of yesterday. What a sweet girl, and what
a trooper.

It happened suddenly (if anything like this can, with a 20-yo),
beginning Saturday morning. I picked her up for some cuddles Saturday
morning, and she was purring and head-butting and asking for kisses
as usual. I put her down so SO and I could have breakfast, and she
wandered off to "meatloaf kitty" by herself, again usual. After
breakfast, she was doing some plaintive meowing (again, usual
behavior for the past year or so), so I picked her up again for more
cuddles -- only this time, she didn't know who I was. Physically
about the same as usual, but mentally just completely not there at
all. She was okay with me holding her for a little bit, but didn't
seem to react to me at all. As the day went on it was just clear she
was "gone" mentally.

She stayed physically strong and wanted to simply wander, to the
point where we couldn't put her in the carrier to calm her because it
was too small and I was afraid she would hurt herself trying to move
around. So SO built her a safe enclosure out of some boxes that was
big enough for her to move as much as she wanted to without hurting
herself but would still keep her safe, and I put some towels and a
shirt I'd worn in there, for comfort. Every so often I'd go pet and
talk to her, or try to get her to drink or eat or use the litterbox,
but there was no change. She slept fitfully and wandered throughout
the night.

Yesterday we found a wonderful local vet who came in and met us at
his clinic. He thought she'd probably suffered a small stroke that
had mental but not physical effects, hence the instant change in
behavior. She was still so physically strong (at almost 21 years
old!) that he had to sedate her before he gave her the final shot.
And then we said goodbye.

We will miss our sweet, incredibly strong and brave girl. Kiri and
Mollie, our other two kitties, are being extra cuddly today, and
we're so glad we have them.

I usually only lurk here but I want to say how sorry I am Kyla, that
you have lost Kibble. at least she didn't suffer.

Purrs for her safe journey to The Bridge and for you and all who loved
her.

Judith

--
Judith Latham