Old November 18th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Feline Stomatitis or Gingivitis???

"KittiKat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I need some advice - Several weeks ago I noticed that my cat's gums had
become very red and inflammed. I look at her mouth fairly regularly and
was surprised to see this inflammation. She is still eating, but is
leaving some food during the second feeding, and occassionally has been
pawing at her mouth. Still is grooming herself, playing, seems to be
the old her, but is sleeping a little more than usual, and sometimes is
grouchy with the other cat, which concerned me. So today I brought her
to the vet. The vet stated that my cat does have some gingivitis but
not nearly enough to warrant the degree of gum inflammation that my cat
has. Additionally, the vet said the back of my cat's throat is red in
appearance. Now the vet is unsure of what may be causing this, so a
full panel blood workup was ordered to rule out other prolems, like
leukemia, anemia, etc, that may be impairing my cats immune system and
causing the increased reaction in her mouth. My cat already has
eosnophil granuloma and many allergies and her mouth has some
granuloma's due to this condition, but, nothing new, she's had this for
5 years or so. My vet mentioned that the cat may have stomatitis but is
*not sure*. Right now the cat has been prescribed Antirobe 25 mg twice
a day and metacam for a few days for pain. The plan is to take my cat
in next Tuesday to do full dental surgery, which may include
extraction. I am really freaking out over this, as my vet is not sure
what is causing this problem and wants to operate and take my cats
teeth out. When I look at her teeth they look very white, with little
tartar or plaque, and yes, I am not a vet, but her teeth do not look
that bad. If it is Stomatitis would it not be better to do a full
dental exam and biopsy, before proceeding??? Is there not a first line
of treatment that is taken before proceeding to teeth extraction?
Addtionally, would I be wrong in getting a second opinion? I hate to
say this, but I feel that this clinic, a one veterinarian business, may
be looking out for the best interest of the business rather than my
cat's well being. The quote on the surgery is also mind blowing. I love
my cat and would pay any amount, but I do not want to be paying for
needless surgery that may cause my cat more pain and not solve anything
in the end. Any advice would be helpful.

Yes, you absolutely should get a second opinion. I would suggest a second
opinion in a case like this even if you did not have any doubts about your
vet -- but your statement that you think the vet "may be looking out for the
best interest of the business" should send all sorts of red flags waving!
If possible, contact a feline-only vet or ask about a referral to a college
of veterinary medicine if you have one within driving distance. In terms of
cost -- yes, dental surgery is expensive. It is worth it if the correct
diagnosis is done. You might want to read about the problem in a source
such as Merck Veterinary Manual
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp -- search for "feline
stomatitis."

MaryL