Old May 31st 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Needd Good Home for Cats

On 30 May, 19:32, "mariib via CatKB.com" u22469@uwe wrote:
wrote:
My family is very sad about this, but we must find new homes for our
cats. My wife has developed allergies, that over the lastg three
years have become so severe she is now on asthma medication.

Thanks.

I'm another with allergies always & on asthma medication the past 15 years -
Singulaire tablets regularly, the long-acting Advair puffer & when needed the
fast-acting Ventolin. I've had cats for 35 years now, so they've probably
played a role in my asthma but I wouldn't consider giving them up under any
condition. My eldest son was born when my first cats were 4 years old & he
was diagnosed at 2 years old with asthma & his was/is a very reactive type.
Somehow, the cats "knew" to stay away from him & he always avoided them in
turn. We had a big house, so it wasn't difficult. His symptoms were quite
well-controlled as he grew up & our family doctor made him take control of
his medications & activities when he was 11 (i.e. he took away the control
from me & gave the responsibiliity to my young son - scary, but it worked).
He's now in his 30's, living in the US in a great climate for an asthma-
sufferer so he rarely has symptoms anymore. It helped my son that my long-
haired part Maine Coon white cat was very used to & tolerated without
complaint being shaved with animal clippers right from the beginning as a
kitten. He used to look so strange with the resulting rippled coat for the
first couple weeks after each shaving because I could never shave him evenly,
but once it started growing out, he looked fine.

Explore your options first, & if you are still determined to give your
"children" away, be very careful who you choose. They are totally dependent
on you & you owe them the very best home you can find.
M.

Very Nicely said Marri....
You said everything I meant!

S;o)