Old March 4th 10, 07:04 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Default Male cat FLUTD UTI problems

On Mar 4, 8:44*am, jamina1 wrote:
My only problem with this suggestion is what if he doesn't eat ANY of
the food in 20 minutes? Then I starve him for the rest of the day
while I'm at work? And if he refuses to touch it again at night?

I've been through this also - a completely healthy cat decided to stop
eating for 24 hours for no reason and by the time I noticed she was
YELLOW because her liver had failed. Perfectly curable sure, but we
had to let her go because the $2000 vet bill was going to be
unfathomable.
He's already ill, I can't risk starving him to death as well.

No one here is suggesting you starve your cat, but it is important
that he eats a decent amount of the food so to prevent liver problems.
You may need to coax him into eating at first--warming the food,
adding a little chicken broth on top, tricks like that. You may even
need to offer three smaller meals at first. The goal is to have two
feedings per day, about 12 hours apart.

I also agree with feeding them in separate rooms. We have three cats,
and one is a food hog, so he is shut inside a room for 20-23 minutes
(while I get ready for work) so he doesn't eat the other cats' food.