Old May 26th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Older cat ill....vet "puzzled" Any thoughts??

My neutered DSH male indoor/outdoor cat seems a bit ill.

He's just 13, we live in a very rural area, and he has never
encountered another cat, nevertheless, he is up on all shots, rabies,
leuk, etc.

In the past several months, he seemed to have lost weight and was
having trouble jumping. Took him in and the vet thought he might have
some sort of hyperactive disorder that is common in older cats and
causes weight loss.

Did a series of tests, found nothing, shrugged.

I will say that this vet has been a wonder for us for years and he is
one of the few vets around here that treat small animals.....the other
two practitioners have a very less than stellar reputation.

Anyway, trouble jumping seems to have eased, but current symptoms a

1) Extremely skinny

2) Chronic loose stools -- not diarrhea, just very "liquid" when he
does go.

He was on Science Diet Feline senior, has been for six years, but we
tried switching back to regular Science Diet Feline Maint when his
weight loss became noticable, but he refused to eat for days, so back
to senior.

Any ideas to put in the ear of the vet. I plan a return visit. Oh,
yes, since he catches his share of mice, etc. he has had worms in the
past and I KNOW what to look for for that, but he has no symptoms of
worms.

The only other option is to put him in the car for a four-hour round-
trip to the "big city," which both of us would hate....He howls the
whole time he is in the car.