Old May 21st 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default IBKFergus is leaving ;-(

Yowie wrote:
I don't want to do this, but don't have much choice. For no reason i or Joel
can fathom, IBKFergus just ripped my thumb to shreds. Its that bad, i can't
use my right thumb to type.

Now I've wrestled with Shmogg all his life and I've had my fair share of
scratches and bites, but never this deep, and never without severe
provocation first.

The deepest cut extends right from the base of my thumb all the way around
to the thumb to the knuckle - about two inches of deep cut, with other
scratches parrellel to it.

This *cannot* happen to Cary, who, being a 2 year old boy, does provoke her.
If it was Cary's thumb, he'd behaving reconstructive surgery to have it
reattached about now. the clawing is *that* severe.

I'd like her to go to a home with people used to ex feral and feral cats. A
home that doens't have children, a home that won't make her the nervous
skitty cat she is here. She is an *excellent* hunter and would be most
suited to barn life rather than a house cat or pet, She has never been
intered in receiving any affection from us, althogh will occasionally
discover how much she likes it if we 'force' it on her. She does, however,
answer to her name.

The Cat Protection Society might take her - theres a lady here in my suburb
that lean me a crate when IBKFergus first got here. If not, I'll try the
Humane Society. Failing that, I'll take her back to work where the rest of
her family is. I don't like the idea of dumping cats, but she'll have a
better chance there than at the RSPCA. The RSPCA do a great job in many
ways, but if I say that she's vicious, and I feel duty bound to mention it,
they'll deem her 'unadoptable' and just euthanise her because they can't
home her forever. And I don't want her euthanised.

Please purr she finds a home more suitable to her wild nature (if you know
of one around Wollongong, Australia, please let me know). Every extra hour
here increases the risk she might severely hurt and/or maim Cary, so she's
got to go ASAP. Tonight, sadly, will be her last night here.

Even though my thumb is throbbing, and I know that this is what we have to
do for Cary's sake, I am *heartbroken*. I just hope she can find a home that
will be able to provide her with whatever it is she needs to become a lap
fungus. I feell like *such* a traitor, a failure, a bad parent etc etc.

And then I have to explain to Cary why his fursister and Evil Overlord is no
longer around.

in tears,

Yowie

I don't know if you'd want to try this, but over the years that I've
read newsgroups, I've heard a lot of positive results with "Soft Paws",
those claw caps. That would work with the claws; but unfortunately
wouldn't help if she bit.
There's a chance IBK will calm down with age; but there's also the
chance she won't, but you already know all that. I had a cat, Cherokee,
who would have *no way* been suitable for a home with children. That's
just a fact. The older he got, the more fractious he got. He would have
hurt a child badly, no doubt about it. He hurt *me* badly enough times.
I imagine this is a bad wound you're talking about; it is not like you
to make such a decision lightly, and I know you're agonizing over it.
Purrs for a good solution & good home for IBK. Hope you are able to
home her with a family where you can see her from time to time. Best of
luck. (((((hugs)))))))

Sherry