Old October 4th 03, 08:31 AM
Marek Williams

On 02 Oct 2003 05:37:58 GMT, ospam (LauraK) dijo:

Were you the one asking about how to open the tubes for flea or something
killer?
I was just doing that today and was reading the instructions and it does tell
you to "push down on the top."
What it doesn't tell you is to take off the top, invert it (so the little
pointy thing in the top of the cap faces the little plastic piece across the
top of the tube) and push down.
I don't know why the instructions leave off that essential piece of
information.

Yep, that was me.

I did try to take the cap off, but it was firmly attached to the tube.
There was a little raised circle all the way around the nozzle about
halfway between the tube and the end of the nozzle. indicating the
start of the cap, but no way could I separate them.

This evening I just gave up. I am, after all, much larger and stronger
than that stupid tube. Furthermore, I own a large pair of scissors.
End of problem.

Then I went to administer the dose to Old George. The tube the vet
sold me had 60 mg and the vet had suggested using it as two 30-mg
doses, but I had decided to use 20 mg at a time, since he is so old
and still kind of skinny. The vet had given me a syringe without a
needle to suck it up so I could use just a portion at a time.

Well, I didn't quite succeed. The syringe was a 1 cc syringe
calibrated to u-100. Therefore, there should have been 60 units in the
syringe. There wasn't. All I got was about 50 units. The rest probably
just didn't get sucked up.

And when I went to dose him I found I couldn't see the syringe once I
inserted it into the fur on the back of his neck. I ended up giving
him about 25 units instead of the 20 I planned to use. And I didn't
get it on the skin very well. I think most of it ended up on his fur.
Sigh

Oh well. I'll watch him over the next several days and see what
happens. According to the vet it should take about three days to kill
the ear mites, fleas, and certain intestinal worms if he has them. He
doesn't really have a flea problem, but from ecstatic state he goes
into when I stick my little finger deep in his ear, he clearly has ear
mites. In about three days I'll take some Q-tips and clean out the
remaining dirt and wax.

You're right about the stupid instructions. Next time you need to open
one of those tubes go get a pair of scissors. It's lots easier. Just
hold the tube upgright and clip the nozzle off about halfway.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.