Old April 7th 05, 10:14 PM
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I know some feel that only canned is good for them, and I'm sure they're
correct, but you have to balance that with the disadvantages of an abrupt
change in diet and with whether or not your cat will eat it.

Absolutely. It doesn't matter how perfectly formulated a diet is if the cat
won't eat it.

No diet should be changed abruptly - even from one brand to a different
brand of the same type of food.

Its often difficult to change textures because a cat's texture preference is
very strongly influenced by the type of food that the cat was feed when she
was a kitten. Unfortunately, most shelters don't have the funds or help to
feed canned food so most cats develop a strong - and sometimes immovable
preference for dry food.

I also try to accustom all kittens and young cats to canned food because it
makes switching the cat to a prescription diet easier if the need arises
later in life. The *worst* time to try to change textures or even brands is
when a cat is sick -- and that's exactly when most people are forced to
change their cats' diets.

Phil