Old January 1st 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cats and fireworks

The new year is nearly four hours old here in Norway, and outside where I
live, in the middle of Oslo, it is absolutely quiet again. It wan't like
that four hours ago. Then there were fireworks everywhere around. I live
near a park where people gather to greet eachother Happy New Year. So the
park is also the launching spot for tons of fireworks.

I stayed inside to see how Teti and Tinùviel would react to all these lights
and explosions outside. Dogs can get quite hysterical and panic over it, so
how would my *cats* react?

Teti woke up when the noise increased outside, and went over to the window
to check out what was going on. He sat there for half an hour, staring out
of the window, listening carefully to all the sounds, and I really think he
would have liked to go out to catch some of the flying balls of light he
saw. He wasn't scared at all!

Tinùviel, on the other hand, was a bit more careful. She saw Teti by the
window and she was wondering if she should dare to sit there with him, but
after a while she retired under a chair where she could observe both Teti
and me, but at a safe distance from the window. She didn't look too scared,
but she found that it was better not to be in the centre of it all.

So, watch your cats, they react differently, and you should see to that the
cats may have a safe place to go to if they get nervous.

And by this I wish people and animals all over the world, a Happy New Year!

--
Hans Schrøder