Old March 25th 05, 05:41 PM
MaryL

"Karen" wrote in message
I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

Capitol bill aims to control Oleftist¹ profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

By JAMES VANLANDINGHAM
Alligator Staff Writer

TALLAHASSEE Republicans on the House Choice and Innovation Committee
voted
along party lines Tuesday to pass a bill that aims to stamp out ³leftist
totalitarianism² by ³dictator professors² in the classrooms of Florida¹s
universities.

The Academic Freedom Bill of Rights, sponsored by Rep. Dennis Baxley,
R-Ocala, passed 8-to-2 despite strenuous objections from the only two
Democrats on the committee.

The bill has two more committees to pass before it can be considered by
the
full House.

While promoting the bill Tuesday, Baxley said a university education
should
be more than ³one biased view by the professor, who as a dictator controls
the classroom,² as part of ³a misuse of their platform to indoctrinate the
next generation with their own views.²

The bill sets a statewide standard that students cannot be punished for
professing beliefs with which their professors disagree. Professors would
also be advised to teach alternative ³serious academic theories² that may
disagree with their personal views.

According to a legislative staff analysis of the bill, the law would give
students who think their beliefs are not being respected legal standing to
sue professors and universities.

Students who believe their professor is singling them out for ³public
ridicule² * for instance, when professors use the Socratic method to force
students to explain their theories in class * would also be given the
right
to sue.

snip

House Bill H-837 can be viewed online at www.flsenate.gov.

Hidden within this bill -- and not particularly well hidden -- is an agenda
to once again try to insert "creationism" into the classroom. The more I
see of attempts like this, the more I think that is just as well that I am
not far from retirement. It's *really* a stretch to equate the Socratic
method with "dictator professors" in the classroom.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)