Old April 8th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Experiences with Xylitol (sugar substitute)?

On 2006-04-03, Monique Y. Mudama penned:
Someone pointed me to Xylitol as a sugar substitute, particularly
for baking. It apparently has dental benefits and fewer calories
than sugar. This person said that she has even made a creme brule
that turned out beautifully. I think she said that, in a recipe
calling for sugar, she uses half that amount of Xylitol instead.

Has anyone else used this, either as a sweetener or in baking? What
are your experiences?

I read that it can have a laxative effect in large doses ... that
doesn't sound wonderful, but I wonder if the average person using it
in normal situations notices the effect.

Well, given its effect on me when I use a few packets in my coffee, I
am sure as heck not using it for baking, where you need large amounts!

Back to sugar for me.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully