Old February 6th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

Default Cleaning Used Cat Tower

"Rhonda" wrote in message
You know, I don't think anyone answered before because they probably
don't know or don't want to give you the wrong info.

In a case like this if you are worried about it -- I would probably
just run it past the vet.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Cat Protector wrote:
I just received a used cat tower and was wondering if it is truly
safe for my cats? I was told that it would be ok to bleach it
before giving it to my cats. Has anyone else here ever gotten a
used tower and safely been able to allow their cats to use it? I
saw that one of the cats in this home was pretty healthy (awaiting
FELV test) and the other was a feral so it is unknown how healthy
that one was. The woman had adopted the one black cat we found from
the Humane Society while the other one she brought in from outside.
One of the neighbors said he was a longer haired cat which looked
like he was a bit large. Both cats were displaced by a fire and the
one we found we were able to get into the adoption system of a
local rescue group.

The cat tower is now on our back porch so I was wondering what
besides bleach do I need to use in order to sterilize it? The tower
is kind of tall (a little over 6 feet) but it does need some
vacuuming and such but it was one of the few things which survived
the fire besides both cats.

I'll tell the OP my experience, and if it works for
him/her, great. I had two FeLV+ kittens housed
in an isolation room with cat trees, carpeted runs,
etc. When they died (lymphoma), I vacuumed,
sprayed everything with a 10% Clorox solution,
laundered everything launderable using Clorox,
shut the room up for a month, then opened it up
and let my healthy cats in. They use it as a play
room. I've also used the room to quarantine
new cats and kittens and although I don't go to
quite the extreme I did after the FeLV+ kittens
died (more recent additions test healthy), I
always clean with a Clorox solution.

You (OP) might check online about the
survivability of various contagious feline
diseases. The FeLV virus is fairly easy to
kill; I don't know if that's true for other
diseases.

Gail F.