Old July 5th 04, 01:29 AM
Jo Firey

"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message

Why do so many people find it necessary, not just on, but for days
before and after, the 4th of July, to set off incredibly loud
fireworks in crowded neighborhoods?

I know it gets to be a bit much, and my cats are none too happy today with
the noise. We are allowed to buy and use "safe and sane" fireworks in parts
of California. But the kids are having a ball. So are the "adult" kids.
Given the human fondness for making loud noise and blowing things up, it
could be worse. (One friend has a cannon he gets out for the 4th. You have
to invite the cops if you're gonna fire that thing)

I grew up near Washington DC and there is nothing quite like the fireworks
at the Washington Monument. I think my best 4th of July was when I was
about six. We spent it at my grandparents house in Virginia where pretty
much anything you want was legal and available. Real sparklers.
Firecrackers. Lots of fun and lots of noise.

I guess I'm just one of those "bombs bursting in air" kind of people and I
hope I never get too old to enjoy watching the sky light up.

But the cats will be much happier when the stands are torn down and the kids
run out of their stashes.

Jo