Old April 26th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mme. Anaïs ^..^[_3_]

Default Cat flap in a wall

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:18:21 +0100, Angela's nimble, little paws
typed:

I hope someone can give me some advice.

Before I have always had a cat flap in a door but now I have a new house and
the back door is a large double glazed door which would just cost me to much
to have a flap put in. A builder friend has offered to put one in the wall
for me. Has anyone any experience of doing this? I have a couple
questions:

1. As it's a cavity wall do cats have a problem going through a tunnel?

2. The actual door seems to be on the inside leaving the tunnel exposed to
the elements (or have I got that wrong?). What's stopping it filling with
rain and allowing water to seep into the cavity wall?

Knocking holes in walls is quite a drastic thing to do so I don't really
want to do it unless it really is the right thing............I'm not sure
what else I will do though if it isn't!!

Thanks in advance

Angela

He needs to put an insulated sleeve through the wall, like the ones
used for exhaust fans, and then caulk it; the flap goes on the
outside, and there are weather-tight cat doors available. To do it
right is a bit pricey, but if he's a builder, he should know this....
--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs

little, the cats become its visible soul.â€
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

4/25/2008 8:54:53 PM