Old December 4th 10, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default A "Job" for Ben - Fosterer?

Ben loves our clowder as much as I do - in fact I think he has an infinite
amount of love to bestow on our furry companions. I proposed to him, this
morning, that he stop gathering outdoor strays into an outdoor clowder (we
have the perfect safe backyard, 6' wooden fence, one *very* large dog house
out of the wind with lots of hay inside and a smaller d*g house on the upper
deck for sunning when the weather is warmer, and a large, raised spa deck
that stays warm underneath all winter. Instead of feeding them and getting
emergency vet care only, I want him to take them, as soon after they come as
possible, to our no-kill shelter that I used to donate funds to when we had
the funds - I got three of my clowder (Percy(RB) and Da Boyz(tm)) from them
and have dealt with them a lot so I know they're reputable but have no space
for strays so they rely on fosterers. The bargain would be...

Bring them to SunSmart who will provide for the immediate, proper vet visits
and de-sexing, *but* also be put on the list as fosterers for cats waiting
for their forever home. I have to research it to make sure the program will
arrange to pay for the vet care and medications (we can manage buying *only*
the food, and don't know where we'll be after the 1st). We have the "off
limits" bedroom - it even has a door we ca put up with screening on the
bottom for integration process from when we were trying to add Hunter(RB) to
the clowder..

Ben has a truly amazing rapport with all animals, especially cats (another
reason I knew I would marry him, Bandit, Queen bitch cat of the entire
universe who would not tolerate *anyone* but me *LURVED* him from the moment
she met him). I think it would not only help all the little lost one, but
to *properly* care for the little lost one *AND* give Ben a chance to use
his very large, caring heart and feel *good* about his successes instead of
so bad when her loses each battle (as with Percy, Hunter, and Inky - all of
whom were found too late to save. The SunSmart people would, unfortunately,
have to deal with the ones who can't be saved (that takes a special type of
angel to be so giving and willing to be hurt).

So what do you guys think? I know there are a lot of people here who
foster. I can imagine the rewards, but what difficulties could we be
facing?

TIA for all you help, and know that I just don't have words that would
express my gratitude for all the comfort you've given us with your purrs,
prayers and love.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/