Old August 26th 13, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Stray cat, possibly pregnant

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Chak wrote:

Bastette wrote in
:

Chak wrote:

When I called the chip company (Avid? I'm not sure of the name now.
I do miss my memory sometimes. When I remember to.) Anyway, the
chip company said that no one had ever registered the chip, but they
shipped it to Animal Control Chicago.

Shipped what? Not the chip - wasn't the chip already inside the cat?
Or shipped the cat? But wasn't the cat living with her humans at the
time? (I assume she was living with people who'd adopted her, before
she ran away/got lost/got dumped, or whatever happened to her.)

So Animal Control spayed her and chipped her and someone adopted
her, but the person who adopted her never bothered to register the
chip.

A *second* person didn't bother to register the chip? That's one
unlucky cat. Well, not anymore.

I suspect she's mine, and I'm glad. I'm also glad there are no
kittens. Mostly.

Congratulations! I expect to see photos soon.

I wasn't making myself clear, I think.

Basically, the chip company sends lots of chips to Animal Control, and
every animal that's adopted gets one, probably at the same time the
animal is neutered and gets shots. Then it's up to the adopter to
contact the chip company, pay the $20 fee, and register the chip.

The chip number is recorded along with all the details of the animal.

I think it's probable that the chip company gives the chips for free to
Animal Control, and makes its money when people register the chip.

I hope that makes sense. Sometimes the things I think most clearly in
my head seem to leave my fingers completely garbled.

As well as my mind.

That's a good deal - for the shelter, for the chip company and especially
for the animals.

Here it's not possible to have a chip implanted without having it
registered to an address and phone number, but it's up to you to keep it
updated if you move house.
Normally, when Boyfie goes for his yearly injections I get his chip read to
make sure it's not moved and is working but I forgot to ask this year until
I was paying and then I remembered.. The option was to take him out of his
box again so I decided it was OK for another year.
He was so scared at the vets that he shed a lot of hair. Dogs will have
dandruff that they never had before too when they get on that table.
Tigger did not shed, but he got sweaty paws.
It's all over now until next year.

My sister in law has a flea problem, so Tigger had a fine comb put through
his fur to see if he had them, it gathers any flea dirt and then you put
water on what you collect. If it goes red, there are fleas.
Tigger has fleas. and Maisie has them too and it's all what to do.

I once told my brother what to do about Maisie's bad manners and he didnt
like it, so let him deal with the fleas himself

Boyfriend has no fleas and never has. Neither did my dogs.
It's not luck.

~~~~~~~~~
Selina had been microchipped when she was vetted by the rescue group that
had placed her in a foster home. When I adopted her, I met with the
president of the rescue group (who is also a friend of mine) to get her
paperwork regarding vaccinations, spay and other records. She filled out
the microchip records and mailed them. The paperwork she compiled has my
name and address and also the names of two friends that could be contacted.
It also includes the contact number for the rescue group. She gave me a
copy with the number, but she said they always do the paperwork for their
adoptees. That way, they know that several numbers (including their own)
are on file with the microchip company.

Duffy has never had fleas, and neither did Holly except for some when I
first adopted her 18 years ago. Selina had some, but she came from a home
with 12 foster cats and a couple of dogs. She is now clear ("flea-free")
now. Fortunately, it was not a major infestation.

Changing topic a bit: Selina hopped up on my bed and spent the night there
last night. That was the first time she slept with me. She gave my hand a
good tongue-scrubbing before settling down beside me. Happy dance!

MaryL