Old November 19th 04, 04:15 AM

Christina Websell wrote:

I told her I don't want to have a friend who thinks like this. She told me
she doesn't want to have a friend that is ineducable about what is going on
in America.

Ahem. Who is she to tell you what is "going on in America"? I see a lot
of what is going on around here, and it's not all racist, homophobic and
rah-rah Bush, I can tell you that. She has a very narrow view of what
this country is supposed to be about - talk about uneducable.

It will be painful for me to fall out with her, but I cannot tolerate a
racist and bigot.

As I said to Hans about his racist and intolerant girlfriend: you're well
rid of her. I know it's painful to lose a friend, but do you really want
her as a friend? It doesn't even sound enjoyable to have contact with her,
which is what friendship is about. And it's not like you're dumping her at
the first sign of conflict - you've tried to talk to her, but she just gets
more and more narrow-minded, and insulting toward you, too. Do you want a
friend who calls you stupid?

I can't see that being a racist and a bigot is right in any country. She
quotes the Bible at me. I told her that I didn't think God was a bigot.

Jesus was an open-minded, radical thinker who believed society should help
sick and poor people. He died for those opinions, which were threatening
to the powers of the time. And now there are people who, in his name, are
committing (or approving of) the very same atrocities he preached against.

It might be the end of our friendship.

How long were you friends, before all this started coming up? Did you ever
have disagreements before? Any sign that she was going to start trying to
convert you? Or is this a sudden change on her part?

Things have gotten very tense - and intense - around here. Bush's win has
emboldened the bigots - racists, but especially homophobics - to crawl
out from their slimy rocks and assert their "right" to deprive other people
of living their lives how they want to. They cram their religious agenda
down everyone's throat, and then whine that people make fun of them. How
would they like it if Islamic fundamentalists took over this country and
made all the women wear veils? It's not OK to use the political apparatus
to preach your gospel. Go to your place of worship for that.

Come to think of it, I had a nightmare last night that I'd gone away to
a school, and it turned out to be some sort of Christian fundamentalist
school. At some point, they were badgering the non-Christians to convert,
or be killed - and they had locked the place up so nobody could leave, kind
of like the Roach Motel. They hadn't gotten to me yet, and I was trying to
figure out a way of slipping under their radar. It was creepy!

Joyce