Old April 21st 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Apparently I Spoke too Soon (OT)

Tomorrow is my last day at my job.

Initially I'd hired on to work during "tax season". But about two months
ago I asked the office manager if they would need a receptionist to work
after the 15th, when they go to 3 days a week. She said, "Yes, are you
interested?" Sure! So she said I'd be working after tax season.

There have always been issues about someone having to be there to unlock the
door for me so I could get the place ready to open. The other receptionist
(at first they thought there would need to be two of us for three months -
ha!) had a key because her husband is also a tax preparer there. So I asked
this morning about getting a key since I was going to be working M-T-W for
the off season.

The office manager said, "Oh! The general manager hired a former
receptionist of ours to work this summer. He did that two months ago." I
just stared at her. Because two months ago was when I asked if they'd need
someone and she'd said I could have the job. She looked uncomfortable and
stammered, "I didn't find out about it until 2 weeks ago." Again, I just
stared.

When was someone planning to tell me? I wouldn't have walked out, tempting
though it may have been. (I was tempted to walk out the minute I heard
today and leave them in the lurch tomorrow, but I didn't do that.) I could
have been using that two weeks (while still working for them) to look for
another job! Gee, thanks, guys. I appreciate the notice.

The office manager left around noon for a doctor's appointment. When she
came back in she had bags full of fried chicken for lunch. She acted like
everything was copacetic. Jill, have you eaten? I'd already eaten the
lunch I made and brought from home. Since I no longer give a crap I'd
heated up my lunch (salisbury steak with gravy, mashed potatoes and steamed
broccoli) and ate it at the front desk. I didn't care if a client walked in
and saw me eatng. A person has to eat, don't they?

On to new jobs. Here's where I got stupid. When I moved I got rid of a
bunch of extraneous paper from my file cabinet. Including copies of my
resume. They're stored on a 3.5" floppy. Guess what? My laptop doesn't
have a floppy drive. Whose does these days? LOL Now I'm going to have to
set up the old XP mini-tower in the kitchen just so I can access my resume
and update it. What a mess. I really don't want to set this damn thing up
in my kitchen. I'll have to set up the printer, too, so I can print
hardcopies and then work from the desk in my living room. Then I get to
disassemble the whole nine yards. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do.

Jill