Old July 15th 03, 09:04 PM
Messalina

om...
I got two kittens, a 12 week old brother and sister, 2 weeks ago.

We
let them loose in the house while we're home, and confine them in

the
bathroom with their catbox during the day. This is because we have

9 year old lame pug who still intimidates them a bit (they jump if

he
makes a false move, and hiss at him). This is not chester's fault,
mind. He pays little attention to them, at most watching them
passively from his doggiebed as they play. He'd like to get into

the
catbox, but we have one of those doorway fences that are secured

with
tension; we put it in place a few inches off the floor so the

kittens
can go under but the dog can't.

My question is this; how soon can I trust everyone together when I

am
not at home? The doorway fence gives the kittens a dog-free zone,

but
I'd still feel more comfortable if they were much bigger when that

day
comes.

Please advise.

Mez

Hi Mez,
Can't you leave the kittens in your bedroom with the door shut? If
you let the littens loose I would be worried that later on they would
pester your pug and pounce on him, as kittens do, and its not fair to
Chester.
I have a dog that's smaller than Kim my cat and sometimes she likes
to chase him which he finds scary.
Alison

Thats the current situation. Kittens confined together, dog has run
of the place. They only are all free together when my husband or I are
at home. What I'm asking for is advice on how long I should wait
until letting them be together in our absence.

No need to worry about Chester, tho. At 21 lbs, he's a fireplug with
feet. I actually got the kittens hoping they would make his life a
little more lively during the day, as he lost his co-dog to cancer
awhile ago.

Mez