Old March 9th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Line of Demarcation?

Sandy wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

I've had this girl for 4 years. I can't believe I've never noticed this
before! While I was scritching her back I noticed she has an obvious
line
of demarcation just after her front legs end. Above there, the fur is
nice
and smooth and even if you ruffle it backwards, it lays back flat. Right
behind this "line" (which you can see if the light is right), if you
ruffle
the fur backwards it stays standing up. It's thicker and feels more
'oily',
if that makes any sense. And it stays standing up unless you smooth it
down. It's past this line she gets the dandruff, although it's mostly
right
above her tail.

I think there's a condition where cats get dandruff around their tail, but
IIRC it's supposed to affect only male cats. It's not life-threatening,
but you might want to mention it to the vet.

Are you thinking of "stud tail"? I just googled it, and it says it's not
necessarily sex-related. They compare it to adult-onset acne in humans.

Sandy

Yes, that's it. I suppose the 'stud' in the name of the condition had me
thinking it only affected males. ;o)

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi