Old March 8th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

Default Do other cats know a cat is dying?

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
My vet has told me that they do know when another kitty in the
household is ill. Usually they will not be kind to the sick kitty -
survival of the pack - they try to run off the sick one. Sometimes by
not letting the sick one have food, etc.

Cats are not pack animals.

I had a very sensitive male cat and an ill female. Even though Dusty
was sensitive, he was very unkind to the female before her death from
cancer.

When my cat became suddenly ill on Tuesday, all the other cats gave him a
lot of space and were very gentle towards him. They often played hard with
him because he was so passive. But they sensed he was ill and they left him
alone. Even my she-devil girl cat was very kind and didn't try to chase him
like she usually did. My male boss cat licked his head a few times, which
he never did before.

I think the change in behavior kind of set it in my mind something really
serious was up.

Paul