Old October 30th 04, 12:08 AM

In one lesson she asked the kids to write down the names of five family
members who loved them. Nathan wrote "Mum, Dad, Waffles, Francis, Marble"
The school has a Sister Francis. The Brazilian nun saw Nathan's writing
and said, "Nathan! you do not say Francis, it is Sister Francis!"

Oddly, she had no comment about the other names in Nathan's list. I wonder
who she thought "Waffles" and "Marble" were?? Nathan's brother and/or
sister, LOL? (Well, that congressman didn't say anything about not giving
animal names to children! )

I suppose that if this nun were new to the UK and not familiar with English
names, that might explain the oversight.

The Brazilian nun often reminds me of this tale, as she then goes on
to say that in Brazil, this would be seen as most odd, as animals are
not looked upon in this way, they are just animals.

I think Britta has posted about this, too - that the Thais she meets think
it's odd how much she and Dennis adore Vino.

This seemed to be a reason for much deep thought. So much so that on a
holiday back in Brazil, she retold the story at a mass in her church.

That's wonderful! You did a great thing, Helen.

Joyce