Old August 6th 03, 02:21 AM
Fred Williams

Orchid wrote:

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:10:25 -0400, "E. R."
wrote:

Which makes you wonder if nicotine is intentionally placed in the
foods that we
eat and this alone is leading to the problem of obesity. Who
knows? It
wouldn't surprise me, either. Look at all of the boxed and
processed foods for
sale in the supermarkets and how they compete for shelf space. Then
there are
the junk food outlets like McDonald's, Burger King, etc.. Sometimes
when eating these foods or packaged, pre-made cookies, I can taste
something strange and ash like.

Ye gods. Any other conspiracy theories you'd like to espouse?
The Secret Service offing JFK?

There's nothing theoretical about that.

Aliens?

Immegration keeps sending them back to Cuba. (:-))

SNIP
Ash = minerals. The amount of 'ash' is determined by burning
a sample of the food and measuring the amount of noncombusted
material. Ash is neither good nor bad for cats.

Ah, then everything I've been hearing for years now is wrong?
Everybody's been telling me that ash is bad for a cat's urinary
tract. They've been telling me to keep away from the fish and
seafood types of catfood.

In the 80's it was
briefly thought that the amount of ash might have something to do
with UTIs or CRF, but that has been rather soundly disproven in the
scientific arena. Unfortunately, the consumer arena is nearly as
quick to catch up or nearly as educated, and so people get ideas
into
their heads and refuse to let them go. This is why cat food labels
still include the essentially meaningless amount of 'ash'.
A better thing to look at and worry about is the calcium -
phosphorus ratio. It should be somwhere in the neighborhood of
1.5:1, IIRC.

Sounds more like the pet food industry has been funding their own
research and getting the results they want. Perhaps it's true, but
given the level of deception with big business these days, it will
take a lot more investigation to determine who's being truthful and
if I were a betting person. I wouldn't put my money on the cat food
corporations, and independant researchers would have to do a lot of
convincing to get me to believe they were truly indeependant.
It's not that people refuse to let go of their ideas, (well OK we
do), but we do because we've been lied to before and we reach a point
where we loose trust.
Like Dr. Johnny Fever said, "When everybody's out to get you,
paranoia just makes good sense." (:-))

--
Regards
Fred and Jetadiah