Old December 30th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default Do cats eat more in winter?

On 12/29/2011 6:46 PM, J J Levin wrote:
Our two cats, Agatha and Edgar, seem to have bigger appetites now that the
weather is colder. Either I am giving them better food (I have not changed
their menu much) or they need more food because it's winter.

They share a small can of moist food morning and evening, and have kibble
available all day. But now he (more than she) is begging for more treats
after breakfast and after dinner. And he used to be sort of picky and pick
and choose which treats he ate, now he wolfs them all down.

Is this common?

Thanks,

Jay

Cats do tend to eat more in colder weather to put on an extra layer of
fat to keep warm - this is especially true for outdoor or indoor/outdoor
cats. However, if he is eating much more then you might want to have
his thyroid checked. I know you got them both as adults, but do you
know how old they are?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/