Old April 15th 16, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Head Count, Please!

On 4/14/2016 5:30 PM, Bastette wrote:
Cheryl wrote:

On 3/29/2016 5:45 PM, Bastette wrote:

Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
more needy and more vocal.

I must have missed about Roxy. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you! It's been 2 months now. I miss her a lot - she was definitely a
heart cat - but at the same time, I'm thankful that she lived 18 good years
and that I got to share it with her. She was a sweet, affectionate, cuddly
little girl who would hang out with me whenever I was seated or lying down.
I miss my little computer-time companion.

She went into acute kidney failure, possibly as a result of the Prednisolone
we were giving her for other symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite
and weight loss). The vet wasn't sure was causing them, but the two main
suspects were cancer and irritable bowel syndrome, both of which could be
helped by a steroid. And she did get better on the steroid, which made us
think we were on the right track. But then she suddenly tanked and was
found to have serious kidney damage, which she didn't recover from.

I'm trying not to focus too much on the possibility that we hastened her
death - it's possible she had the renal failure all along and that was what
was causing her symptoms after all. If that was the case, then it suddenly
got a lot worse, but that happens with CRF. The problem didn't show up in
her bloodwork until she was in a dire condition. I pulled out the stops -
had her on IV fluids for 2 days, and then brought her home to see if the
treatment would turn out to be effective. That whole time I was worried she
would suddenly go into an agonizing process of dying. She didn't, but the
treatment didn't help either, so I brought her back for the last time.
After she got the shot of sedative and went to sleep, I felt so relieved
that she was going to die peacefully.

You can never second guess treatment that makes them live a more
comfortable life in the NOW would hurt LATER. Cats live in the NOW.
Shamrock also had regular steroid shots for his skin problem and I'll
never second guess that it caused a shorter life. He was very loved as
was Roxy.

--
Cheryl