Old January 26th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Pilling The Cat Revisited

dgk wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 10:01:15 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

On 1/20/2017 12:49 PM, John Kasupski wrote:

The subject of pilling a cat came up recently in another thread, and it got me
to thinking about this:

If you and your cat are sitting in the living room and you get up off the couch
to go out to the kitchen and feed your cat, the cat will already be out in the
kitchen waiting next to the food dish for you when you get there.

If you and your cat are sitting in the living room and you get up off the couch
to go out to the kitchen and pill your cat, the cat will seem to have vanished
from the face of the Earth by the time you finish getting to your feet.

How do they know?

I'm initially inclined to think it's something in our body language, which our
cats seem to be experts at reading, but I'd be interested in hearing about any
other theories someone else might have conceived or has read about.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

I'm sure it's body language. Cats are excellent when it comes to
reading it. Something about us is different. I think it's because we
sort of tense up a bit yet we try to act nonchalant. We know we're
about to do something the cat won't like so they know it, too.

I've found it's the same as when you need to get the cat in the carrier.
That almost always means they're going to the vet. They can sense it,
so they immediately make themselves scarce.

Jill

That's certainly true. As soon as I try to act "natural" and reach for
the bottle with the dropper, cats are gone.

Heh. If I have something *hidden in my pocket* and I try to act natural,
Licky still knows!

Joyce