Old March 20th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default CRF in Alex

"cindys" wrote in message

She wants to put the cat on a
prescription low protein kidney diet. On one of the websites for which
Sheelagh provided a link, I read that this would actually be a bad idea
because there is no evidence that low protein diets delay progression and

in
the meantime, the cat's body is not getting sufficient protein. Would you
agree or disagee with that?

Protein shouldn't be restricted in cats until the BUN reaches 65-85 mg/dl,
and only to ameliorate clinical signs of uremia. The theory of restricting
protein to slow the progression of CRF was based on old studies in *rats*.
Later studies showed that mechanisms that can alter the progression of CRF
in the rat don't have the same effect in cats. In fact, protein restriction
can have deleterious effects in cats- e.g., impaired immunological response
and resistance to infection, reduced hemoglobin production and anemia,
decreased plasma protein levels, and muscle wasting. I've been feeding my
20-yearl old x/d- its almost identical to k/d- its an alkaline diet with
higher protein and a little more phosphorus. What you want to avoid are
acidified diets.

BTW, I have a feeling my other approximately
15-year-old cat may be headed down the same path. His BUN and creatinine

are
high normal. Do you have any thoughts on anything I can be doing to

prevent
the development of CRF in him?

Omega-3 fatty acids derived from menhadan fish- not flaxseed or any
plant-derived omega-3. Plant-derived omega-3s contain too much omega-6-
which are proinflammatory and contribute to the progression of CRF. Omega-3
fatty acids derived from fish down-regulate intrarenal inflammatory
beneficial also. You want to keep his K+ levels in the upper half of the
normal range.

(The other problem is that I have several younger, presumably healthy

cats,
and all my cats eat the same dry food. I also give them canned food, so I
could continue to give the young healthy cats the high protein canned

food,
but one of my younger cats refuses the canned food and is only willing to
eat the dry. She does not need to be on a low protein diet, which would be
the net result if I switched over to the NK prescription food.)
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

As I said, I don't think you should feed a restricted protein diet yet. Just
don't let the normal cats eat x/d because it could predispose them to
struvite.

Best of luck,

Phil